WebQuests (ICT Integration)
World Heroes Hall of Fame
Who is your hero? What makes a hero? If you win a prize are you a hero? If you are popular are you a hero? Are sportspeople really heroes, or just talented people. If you are talented are you a hero?
Heroes are people that we look up to and who are our role models. Do we use the word "hero" too lightly? Who would you nominate in your World Heroes Hall of Fame?
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is creating a World Heroes Hall of Fame. They have assigned you and your team the difficult task of nominating a short list of candidates for the Hall of Fame. Your team will be responsible for researching and defining the concept of a hero and go in search of heroes from the past. Team members must look at all aspects of culture to develop a balanced list of candidates worthy of inclusion in the Hall of Fame.
ProcessYour team has the following tasks:
- Research, discuss and define the qualities of a hero.
- Develop a list of candidates and finally nominate three candidates.
- When your team has determined the top three heroes use Microsoft Word to create a magazine to illustrate the lives of these heroes.
- In your magazine articles, be sure to include biographical information and a historical perspective of the hero. You will also be expected to justify why the heroes your team chooses should be nominated for the Heroes Hall of Fame.
- You will submit your completed magazine to UNESCO to help them choose which heroes will be the first inductees into the World Heroes Hall of Fame.
Biographies of distinguished women
Who or what is a hero?
This site documents South African history. It provides information about people, place, events, etc.
Holocaust Essays: Oskar Schindler: The Man and the Hero
Holocaust Essays: The Heroism of Chiune Sugihara
ConclusionBy completing this activity you and your team would have gained a good insight into what makes a hero. Heroes are meant to inspire us and be models for us.
» Download the Presentation Assessment
Related Scenarios» A Great Book of Great Thinkers
» Local Leaders, Tomorrow's Heroes